RSS FEED

Stones into schools

"If you teach a boy, you educate an individual; but if you teach a girl, you educate a community." (p.13)


"Neverthless, he understood that hope resides in the future, while perspective and wisdom are almost always found by looking to the past."(p.21)
"War has forced us to starve not only our bodies but also our minds." (p.104)

"One of the happiest days of my life, he once told me, was when I finally put down my gun forever and took up the pen. This is jihad that is Allah's calling for me." (p.149)

"People in that part of the word are used to death and violence, I said. And if you tell them, We are sorry your father died, but he died a martyr so that Afghanistan could be free, and if you offer them compensation and honor their sacrifice, I think that people will support us even now. But the worst thing that you can do is what we're doing- ignoring the victims by calling them collateral damage and not even trying to count the numbers of the dead. Because to ignore them is to deny they ever existed, and there is no greater insult in the Islamic world. For that, we will not be forgiven." (p.250-251)


"You wonder why I sit,
Here on this rock,
By the side of this river,
Doing nothing?

There is so much work to be done for my people.
We have so little food,
We have so few jobs,
Our fields are in shambles,
And still there are land mines everywhere.

So I am here to listen to
The quiet,
The water,
And the singing trees.

This is the sound of peace
In the presence of Allah.
After thirty years as a mujahadeen,
I have grown old from fighting.
I resent the sound of destruction.

I am so weary of war."  (p. 99-100)

(Stones into schools- Promoting peace with books, not bombs in Afghanistan and Pakistan, Greg Mortenson, 2009)


http://www.stonesintoschools.com/
http://www.ikat.org/
http://www.penniesforpeace.org/

0 comentarii:

Trimiteți un comentariu

Return top